Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Dutch Police Arrest Kournikova Author.

From: John Oliver <joliver () CONNECTNET COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:34:10 -0800

Marnix Petrarca wrote:

I hear it is a 20 year old kiddie from the town called Sneek(y)
in Friesland (50 KM east..) He got scared after (I think) he heard
of the damage caused and quickly went to the police to report
himself, with a sad story that he didn't realise what he was
doing.

What really scares me is the fact that MS and co. don't see a problem
where anyone, and I mean *anyone* can "write" a script that can cause
such huge problems...

Apparently that's why it was so quick. If it turns out that this child
was
idiot enough to send it off from his personal Excite mail account,
well, how stupid can it get?

Oh, so *that's* how Excite@Home was able to "track him down"... :-)  I
was really wondering about that, since it's been years since there was
anyone with @Home who had the technical expertise needed to blow their
own nose without assistance...

--
John Oliver, System Administrator        http://www.allegiancetele.com