Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: SMTP server (How can I find out the real source of an attack)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:59:32 -0400

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:53:36 PDT, MrG <p2mask2_xti () yahoo com>  said:
1.I have a SMTP server (behind my FW) who constantly
(>7 times per second) is trying to establish a TCP=25

I know that my SMTP server  has been compromise but

How do you *know* it's been compromised?

I've seen multiple systems that don't understand the meaning of "required
delay before retry" as per RFC1123 - systems that in their normally broken
state will retry over and over and over.  I can sympathize with your
7x/sec - I once got hit by something that retried 10x/sec for about 2 days
before I finally found the owner and chastised them....

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst