Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Unicode Logs with Ping Activity

From: Vitaly Osipov <vosipov () wolfegroup ie>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:39:28 +0100

the probability of sources IPs being spoofed is very low, because in
order to send a request to your IIS server, they had to establish a TCP
connection, and this is a bit tricky thing to do when you try to spoof
the source IP (not on unpatched NT, though :) )

regards,
Vitaly.

myrddin_e () hushmail com wrote:

Understood, and thanks for the detailed information. That is what I was
trying to learn!

Any one have an opinion as to the likelihood of the originating address
not being spoofed? I counted four unique addresses that used the system
for ping attacks over the course of 20 days.

DISCLAIMER: NO, this was not my server. YES, I do know that the patch for
Unicode was released with bulletin MS00-057. YES, I did read the FAQ before
posting. Geez guys, take pill.

At Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:05:45 -0400 (EDT), Jordan K Wiens <jwiens () nersp nerdc ufl edu>