Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Synscan on port 2223

From: Daniel Martin <dtmartin24 () home com>
Date: 26 Jun 2001 17:42:42 -0400

"Fernando Cardoso" <fernando.cardoso () whatevernet com> writes:

I've just noticed in my logs a scan from someone in Colombia to port 2223.
It was clearly made with synscan (source port=destination port, ID=39426 and
Window=404). What makes me think is the purpose of it. What (s)he's looking
for? According to my port database it could be:

I saw this too.  Whatever they were looking for, if you sent a syn
packet back to them on port 2223 (e.g. by doing "telnet
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2223"), then they would respond with a regular TCP
connection to the port, and wait for something.

I don't know what they were waiting for, since any data I sent just
resulted in the other side closing the connection.

So it's definitely synscan-like behavior, but I don't know what
exploit has been attached to that port.

and tracking system please see:

http://aris.securityfocus.com