Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: More rootkit defense

From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr () ECLIPSED NET>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 19:55:26 -0500

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 03:48:41PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
That's like not bothering to lock the door of your house when
you go away on vacation because a burglar might conceivably pick the lock,
or not getting a tetanus booster because it won't protect you against
hepatitis.

I suppose, but running any BIND prior to 8.2.3 is pretty much doing
the same thing.

It's really very little effort to upgrade and chroot compared to the
effort needed to patch up after a breakin.

Is BIND9 stable yet?  Last time I looked (which was only a few weeks ago),
the cautions on the ISC site gave me the strong impression that it was
considered to be still in beta, supported only a subset of BIND8
functionality, and in general was not recommended for use on production
systems.

Erm... BIND was supposedly stable and useable as of BIND 9.1.0, which
has been out for well more than a few weeks, and I'm quite content
with 9.1.1rc1 (though I don't serve a massive number of zones by
any means). I could not find any literature suggesting BIND9 was
unstable (though it may still lack some features, it has soem new
ones that are quite useful, such as views).

In fact, according to http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html:

  ISC has discovered or has been notified of several bugs which can
  result in vulnerabilities of varying levels of severity in BIND as
  distributed by ISC. Upgrading to BIND version 9.1 is strongly
  recommended. If that is not possible for your site, upgrading at
  least to BIND version 8.2.3 is imperative.

If memory serves, Paul Vixie said he was running BIND 9 on F
(ISC's root nameserver) when he spoke at LISA this past year.

BIND 8.2.3 is theoretically safe, but no one's suggesting they're
doing an audit of any BIND8 source, so more problems will probably
crop up and be patched in the same way.

So, I'd say BIND9 is useable and ought to be used unless it still
lacks some specific BIND8 feature you know you have to have.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net