Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: FBI Virus Alerts

From: Gary Maltzen <maltzen () MM COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:36:32 -0500

Isn't this rather a "Chicken Little" ("The sky is falling!") approach?

I certainly get enough forwarded forwarded (hoax) virus "warnings" from well-meaning friends who have no clue where to
check on the accuracy and invariably end up responding to a (long) list of addressees (since they also haven't a clue
about BCC) listing URLs where they can go see that the message was a hoax.

I should think RESPONSIBLE reporting would involve taking the time to check the accuracy of the story before passing it
on.

If I understand the charter of this list, it is to exchange information about anomalies leading to early detection of
attacks.

~Gary

----- attributed to <info () safer-hex com> -----

then I don't wait until their webmasters wake up but forward it to my readers who expect me to do just that and not
wait until I have the first samples in our editorial mail boxes to check if it's real.

period!

Dre.

p.s. I'm aware that many a/v vendors sometimes create a hype but we have the policy better to warn to often but ASAP,
rather than to warn when it's too late.

--

[  C  A  M  R  I  N    N  E  T  W  O  R  K  ]
the  jrpamc.com internet information services