Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Probes to strange ports

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:42:46 -0800 (PST)

Robert,

What KIND of traffic are you seeing on these ports?

It sounded to me (admittedly it's still unclear) as if
the OP was saying that he's seeing probes.  Now,
again...at this point we have no real idea what that
means...but it might be simple SYN packets that are
getting dropped, as nothing is listening on those
ports on the target machines.

Some things we'll need to know include:
1.  What flags are set on these packets?
2.  Are they incoming as well as outbound, or just
incoming?
3.  Are they being stopped by a firewall?
4.  Are the packets destined to specific machines?  If
so, does 'netstat' or 'fport' show anything running on
those machines, using those ports.

Are they to one
particular system?  If so, have you run any analysis
tools on it (i.e.
TDImon, or FileMon, etc...)?

Good suggestions.  I'd recommend pslist, listdlls, and
fport, as the output of those tools goes to STDOUT and
can be easily piped off of the box.  FileMon and
RegMon might not be necessary...it hasn't been shown
yet that the packets are even reaching the target
boxes.

Is there any kind of consistency to the packets?
Are they all TCP or is
there UDP as well?  Is it at a certain time?  What
kind of systems are you
seeing the activity on?  OS?  versions?  Apps
involved (if identified)?

All good questions.  Just goes to show we need more
folks out there who know how to do Incident Response.

Carv