Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: ncacn_http/1.0

From: "McCammon, Keith" <Keith.McCammon () eadvancemed com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:19:57 -0500

That's probably not good.  Ncacn_http allows client/server applications
to communicate via the internet (or any IP network) by using IIS to
"proxy" the requests.  Thus, an application that would normally be
prevented from accessing the internet could be piped out a public IP on
port 80 (in the case of ncacn_http, anyway).  The port on which the host
is listening is somewhat irrelevant, as port 80 only needs to be open on
the IIS server that is acting as the application proxy.

This is oversimplified, and I've certainly left out most of the details,
but this is basically what ncacn_http is used for.

Keith