Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Bogus DNS traffic

From: "Mike Anderson" <secure () spoofedpackets net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:34:24 -0400

Dave,

        You might be seeing an increase in DNS traffic as results from
this trojan.

QHosts Trojan Horse
added October 2
The CERT/CC has received reports of a new Trojan Horse program affecting
Microsoft Windows systems. The QHosts or Qhosts-1 Trojan Horse has been
reported to alter domain name service (DNS) settings on Windows systems
and redirect users from legitimate web sites to those specified by the
Trojan Horse program. The CERT/CC is tracking this activity as
CERT#27882 and is interested in receiving reports thereof. Relevant
artifacts or activity can be sent to cert () cert org with "CERT#27882" in
the subject line.

The CERT/CC strongly encourages users to install anti-virus software,
and keep its virus signature files up-to-date.

I got this from cert's website. You might want to check that out.

Mike Anderson
Systems Engineer