Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Bogus DNS traffic

From: Robert Lowe <rlowe () auscert org au>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:21:23 +1000

Hi David,

Yes, we've had reports of similar activity. The best explanation I've found so
far is:

http://people.ists.dartmouth.edu/~gbakos/bindsweep/

But perhaps someone else knows of a better explanation...

Seeing the MAC addresses set to your upstream router is expected:

http://www.blacksheepnetworks.com/security/info/ids/IDFAQ/mac_address.htm

Regards,
Rob.

--
Robert Lowe, Computer Security Analyst   | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT                                  | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031

  I'm seeing random UDP packets to port 53 of random
internal IP addresses.  The source IP addresses are
external, all over the map, although the one example
I've gotten a good capture of bore the source MAC
address of an internal server.  (Whatever is spoofing
the IP address *could* be spoofing the MAC address, but
that would still indicate an origin inside our network....)

  Does anyone recognize this?

David Gillett

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_incidents_031015