Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie () fantasyfarm com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:41:55 -0500

On 11 Jan 2005 at 16:11, Jeff Bryner wrote:

Has anyone resorted to 'run as'  or dropping rights within a process to
control administrative access within IE:

I've been doing that since the day I first loaded XP/Pro.  It really
works very well.  I didn't know about the registry flag trick mentioned
here:

Run as with explorer (or ie)
http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/07/07/175488.aspx

for running explorer, but I just use IE [and I can't remember how, but I
discovered the "put Control Panel in the address bar" trick].  I can go
weeks at a time without having to log in on my Admin account _at_all_.

Another trick is that when you need to install something, you can just
"RunAs"/Admin the setup.exe file out of your limited account.

The only tricky part is chasing down the little niggles of improperly
coded programs: the most common one is programs that require write access
to their install directory but you run into all sorts of infelicities
[e.g., needing access to odd registry keys].  If you can figure out what
the program needs, it is usually easy to tweak the security settings [via
an IE browsing the filesystem, of course..:o)]

Meta question: does anyone know if [and if so, how] to use the security
auditing machinery to figure out what a program needs?  The usual
situation is that you install a program [runas/admin] and then you try to
run it from your limited account and it just won't run...  I have this
feeling that I should be able to turn on some sort of event logging or
some such in XP and then just go to a log to see what the program tried
to do that it was denied access to, but I haven't been able to figure out
how to do it...

  /Bernie\

--
mailto:bernie () fantasyfarm com     Pearisburg, VA