Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: IE Malware / Spyware Control Methods

From: "Orlando Richards" <orlando.richards () ed ac uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:21:17 -0000

Meta question: does anyone know if [and if so, how] to use
the security
auditing machinery to figure out what a program needs?  The usual
situation is that you install a program [runas/admin] and
then you try to
run it from your limited account and it just won't run...  I
have this
feeling that I should be able to turn on some sort of event
logging or
some such in XP and then just go to a log to see what the
program tried
to do that it was denied access to, but I haven't been able
to figure out
how to do it...

FileMon and RegMon from sysinternals usually do the trick.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

--
Orlando.