Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Windows Server

From: pauls () utdallas edu
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:38:13 -0500

--On June 5, 2006 2:27:32 PM -0500 Patrick Beam <patrick.beam () gmail com> wrote:

Came in this morning to find a windows 2003 server I manage scanning the
Internet for machines listening on tcp 139 and 445.  While looking at the
machine I noticed the following processes running.

Mwvsta.exe found in c:\windows\system32

rundll16.exe c:\windows\system23

Ponoas.exe  c:\windows\system32

I believe that the ponoas.exe is some sort of rootkit although searching
on
google for this file name returns nothing.  Also searching
mwvsta.exereturns nothing.  At this point I have removed these files
from the system
and registry but am weary that the server will get hit again.  Has anyone
had an experience with the following file or have any idea what rookkit of
virus they are associated with?

Filenames aren't going to do you a bit of good. Nowadays they're as individualized as human beings. It's unfortunate that you deleted them, because it will make it next to impossible to find out what they were.

When you say you noticed the following processes running, how did you notice them? Were they visible in Task Manager? Or did you use some other tool to "see" them?

Do you have any idea how the breakin occurred?

Is there a firewall between this host and the internet? Any intrusion detection equipment? Any traffic-tracking software?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/