Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Compromised Windows Server

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:09:47 +0200

Patrick Beam wrote:

Came in this morning to find a windows 2003 server I manage scanning
the Internet for machines listening on tcp 139 and 445.  While
looking at the machine I noticed the following processes running.

Mwvsta.exe found in c:\windows\system32

From my own collection ...

[\winnt\system32\mwvsta.exe]
MD5  : 0fa478b74b1f64f09044df8f6b5703bb
SHA1 : 7083ec98d4997a9700f7e97aa62c1c07c02e7bef

Kaspersky : Backdoor.Win32.SdBot.gen (packed: PE_Patch, UPack)
McAfee    : New Malware.aj (heuristic detection)
Norman Sandbox: http://sandbox.norman.no/live_2.html?logfile=927525

According to the Sandbox results "mwvsta.exe" connects to
"comto.mybizz.info" [206.53.51.108] on port 1560 (TCP).

rundll16.exe c:\windows\system23

Ponoas.exe  c:\windows\system32

Again from my own collection ...

[\winnt\system32\ponoas.exe]
MD5  : eddf174b022954589e2d423da9b7791d
SHA1 : 162b17c5be842458f0fdffa2ccff4e8f97b6a0ff

Kaspersky : Trojan-Proxy.Win32.Ranky.gen (packed: PE_Patch, UPack)
McAfee    : W32/Sdbot.worm.gen.h
Norman Sandbox: http://sandbox.norman.no/live_2.html?logfile=927526

I believe that the ponoas.exe is some sort of rootkit although
searching on google for this file name returns nothing.

"My" ponoas.exe certainly isn't rootkit related but comes as one of two
files in a SFX RAR archive. Such RAR archives usually contain a trojan
(i.e. SdBot variant) and a trojan proxy (often a variant of Ranky
- McAfee's name for it is "Proxy-FBSR trojan").

Also searching mwvsta.exereturns nothing.  At this point I have
removed these files from the system
and registry but am weary that the server will get hit again.

I recommend following the steps mentioned here - @Wes: especially if it
is a mission critical system!:
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/win-UNIX-system_compromise.html#E

Has anyone had an experience with the following file or have any idea
what rookkit of virus they are associated with?

Maybe you should re-read the definition of a "rootkit":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Regards,
Axel Pettinger