Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: Gary Baribault <gary () baribault net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:28:21 -0500

Burn the box, re-install an OS fresh from verified source, install the
apache and PHP from known source and then bring back the source for
the web site after verifying it by hand. This is a known trojan, and
it is in memory, but it's initialised from the server drive somewhere.

Gary B

Jeff Plewes wrote:
We have a similar problem on one of our co-location servers:

- centos5 i386
- apache 2.2.3-11.el5.centos (2.2.6 backport)
- php 5.2.5 (compiled from source)

The issue appears at random..   when it is present, a request to the
web server will respond with a redirect to a spyware or malware
download site.   This will continue to redirect 10% of the traffic to
the box until httpd is restarted.  The redirection script is not found
in any file on the server filesystem and believed to be injected into
the response stream via a compromised httpd process in memory.

This issue was happening on the same box when It used to be apache
2.0.56, php 5.1.0 running redhat 9.  upgrading the distribution,
apache, php etc has so far not resolved the issue.

At this point we are upgrading to apache 2.2.3-11.el5.centos.3 (2.2.8
backport) in hopes that the recent security patches in this build
relating to XSS will solve the issue.

I would really like to find the source of the problem, though.

-Jeff