Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DNS CACHE POISONING? - Our Portal is redirecting to our first competition

From: Graeme Fowler <G.E.Fowler () lboro ac uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:46:52 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 11:59 -0500, Jeff Plewes wrote:
Update,

The problem box:
- centos 5 base, updated via yum from default repository.
- httpd 2.2.3-11.el5_1.centos.3 (2.2.8 backport?)
- php 5.2.5 compiled from source
- courier-authlib 0.60.2 compiled from source
- courier-imap-4.3.0 compiled from source
- exim 4.69 compiled from source
- proftpd 1.3.1 compiled from source

I have no control panel of any sort installed.

Do you exert *any* control over your customers' content?

The box was running RH9.. had the issue.. formatted and replaced with
fresh install of centos 5... copied over customer vhosts..

I guess not :)

Gets hit again within days.

Highly likely. The commonality between the systems is your customers,
who I would either finger directly as the culprits or their sites.
Anyone running an outdated "Nuke" of any type, for example? Menalto
Gallery? Real old Actinic shopping carts, anything like that?

I have many other hosts in the datacenter with various configurations
but all would have had the same apache, php, ssh, ssl versions as this
box before at RH9. None of them have been hit.. none of them however,
contain exim, courier, or proftpd

I would personally be *extremely* surprised to find any of these three
being the entry point, especially given the versions you mention.

My finger points at PHP, indirectly, through a hole in an application
giving a remote attacker local user privs. Once they're in your system,
all bets are off - even if they're not root yet, they could be sometime
soon.

Graeme