Interesting People mailing list archives

"Digital Signature Scandal" a bit more

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1993 16:40:57 -0500

During a discussion in DC today the following arose.

The Federal register announcement was dated and signed on 2 June 1993 (and
published on 8 June). The NIST Advisory Board mandated by the congress was
meeting at NIST on 2-5 June. They were not told about the announcement even
though the matter was of direct interest and importance to their assigned
task. Why??? Did someone have something to hide?

I hear tell also that the Clipper chip's first run of final silicon was not
a winner. Chips failed after 40 hours. I also heard a rumor that the redo
would depkay things for up to a year (sounds like a long time). Any better
info out there?

Dave