Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: "Digital Signature Scandal" a bit more

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 03:46:39 -0500

from a source

"My info is that there were three parallel tests; your number comes from
the first, though the others were little better.

Batch I         n=8     mtbf= 41.5 hrs.

Batch II        n=11 mtbf= 49.0 hrs.

Batch III
                n=20    mtbf= 32.0 hrs.

My NSA source said that he thought that the difficulty was related to
thermal issues and that if environmental issues were addressed or at least audit
ed to assure proper operating environment the numbers might have been better.

I have been unable to get any 'hard' info re what actually happened and what
kind of a post mortem is taking place."