Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:: A suggestion for the new IANA

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:13:10 -0400

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 10:57:52 -0400
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Don Heath <heath () isoc org>
Subject: Re: IP: A suggestion for the new IANA

At 07:32 AM 10/5/98 -0400, Dave Farber wrote:
Prior to the Board actually meeting , I would suggest that a manageable
group of "gurus" gather to create a set of FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES that
would underlie the decisions and actions of the first and succeeding
Boards. While they would not be bylaws etc, they would be adopted by the
new Board as one of their first actions and would establish a ethical and
moral tone for the future of the organization.

Such principles could address issues such as freedom of speech (as it
applies to the worldwide Internet) etc.

Future Boards could operate outside these principles of course but at the
risk of a public outcry etc.

Dave

This is a great idea and could perhaps go a long way to alleviate the concerns
of many with regard to the operation and policies of the new corporation.  As
you know, the Internet Society has a mission statement and a set of underlying
principles upon which we define our goals and objectives, our programs and
initiatives, and the position we take on issues confronting the Internet.  It
certainly facilitates the decision making process which could be significantly
more difficult for our diverse board of Trustees.

These are relatively simply defined, yet they have a far-reaching effect:

Internet Society Mission Statement:

"To assure the beneficial, open evolution of the global Internet and its
related internetworking technologies through leadership in standards,
issues, and education."

Guiding Principles:

1) Open, unencumbered, beneficial use of the Internet

2) Self-regulated content providers; no prior censorship
   of on-line communications

3) On-line free expression is not restricted by other
   indirect means such as excessively restrictive
   governmental or private controls over computer hardware
   or software, telecommunications infrastructure, or
   other essential components of the Internet

4) Open forum for the development of standards and
   Internet technology

5) No discrimination in use of the Internet on the basis
   of race, color, sex, language, religion, political or
   other opinion, national or social origin, property,
   birth or other status

6) Personal information generated on the Internet is
   neither misused nor used by another without informed
   consent of the principal

7) Internet users may encrypt their communication and
   information without restriction

8) Encouragement of cooperation among networks:
   Connectivity is its own reward, therefore network
   providers are rewarded by cooperation with each other.