Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fwd: Statement By The President: Internet Tax Freedom Act

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 18:48:01 -0400

From: Thomas_A._Kalil () opd eop gov
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:49:21 -0400
Subject: Statement By The President: Internet Tax Freedom Act

The Internet Tax Freedom Act passed the Senate 96-2.
The House still has to decide whether to agree to
the Senate version.

Tom Kalil
The White House
kalil_t () a1 eop gov

                              THE WHITE HOUSE

                       Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
October 8, 1998

                        STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

     I  am  pleased  that  the  Senate  has joined the House in passing the
Internet  Tax Freedom Act. This bill will create a short-term moratorium on
new  and  discriminatory  taxes  that  would  slow  down  the growth of the
Internet,  and  launch  a  search for long-term solutions to the tax issues
raised by electronic commerce.  As I said earlier this year in my speech on
Internet  policy,  we cannot allow 30,000 state and local tax jurisdictions
to  stifle  the  Internet, nor can we allow the erosion of the revenue that
state and local governments need to fight crime and invest in education.  I
look  forward  to  signing  this  legislation  into law so that America can
continue to lead the world in the Information Age.

                                 30-30-30