Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Carnivore

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:07:43 -0400

From: Russell Nelson <nelson () crynwr com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 09:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave Farber writes:
 > ><http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20000713.html>

I don't believe this analysis is correct.  The FBI has a history of
using custom boxes to accomplish its wiretapping and pen-tracing
(traffic analysis) function.  No, the real problem with Carnivore is
the obvious one: that we cannot trust the FBI to restrict its use to
capturing email.  The FBI, on the other hand, does not wish to trust
each and every ISP with keeping the secret of whose email is being
tapped.  In some cases it would be risky to do an in-host email tap.
And yet, how could we verify that the FBI is really restricting its
use of Carnivore to only capturing email?  We could have US Marshalls
(a division of the Justice department) conduct an audit of the
software, but how could we know that the FBI was actually running the
same software that had been audited??  This is a difficult problem,
and one that we cannot allow the FBI to punt ("just trust us") on.

--
-russ nelson <sig () russnelson com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |