Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Real, Netscape/AOL, NetZip ~may~ be monitoring all browser-initiated file downloads

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:31:00 -0400

To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Jeff.Hodges () stanford edu
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:45:47 -0700

I've skimmed the stuff below and the key web page..

  http://grc.com/downloaders.htm

..and it certainly appears damning. But, Gibson isn't explicit on that
page as
to whether the link he clicked on to download the test file (from one of his
own machines) was being materialized to him in a vanilla web page (this is
what is being implied, seems to me), or somehow via the "Smart Download"
functionality itself -- dunno how that might be set up, but it's a reasonable
question to ask. Anyways, if it is the former (yikes), then I'm also curious
about what all other user actions are being monitored, plus his article
doesn't analyze anything beyond the one (albeit significant) test case.

Personally, I'm not surprised this is occurring (sigh). I thought to
myself at
least a couple of years ago that it's just a matter of time before someone
distributes retail not-just-business-site-focused software that
surreptitiously communicates with others without end user knowledge, and I
wondered when it would come to light. Well, between Richard Smith and Gibson,
it's now apparently happening. Note that in the IBM-based mainframe world,
surreptitious monitoring of end-user behavior was an explicitly supported
feature of the environment (OS/MVS in my personal experience), but was
strictly confined to the workplace, plus there was (for most folks) no
Internet connectivity over which to (surreptitiously or not) communicate this
stuff to other organizations. I wonder if a portion of the rationalization
for
incorporating such monitoring facilities is something like "well, it's
nothing
new, been done for years, our license agreement doesn't preclude it (modulo
the significant NetZip boo-boo that Gibson points out on the above-referenced
page)?

JeffH