Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:: THEY GOT TO BE KIDDING -- Skip DVD ads go to jail?

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:53:03 -0500

Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 11:54:44 -0800
From: Ed Gerck <egerck () nma com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
CC: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: Re: IP: THEY GOT TO BE KIDDING -- Skip DVD ads go to jail?

Dave:

Your readers may now see how valuable your list is --
at least we are allowed to skip it ;-))

In spite of Disney may say, we may agree that live in a society which
accepts many truths and many ways of knowing, with a growing emphasis on
local discourse.  The way to accomodate this in a society that is also
valuing 'being together' is to provide for unification without integration,
is to value diversity and take it into account -- rather to iron it out in the
good name of interoperation or security.  There is actually no alternative --
either we  attempt to follow the current hierarchic models that
have no justification to control but some form of might, or we can
model the real-world and see that there is redundancy, there is
self-reliance, there is indeed control but it depends on how you measure
it, not because someone tells you so.

How to measure it is the question here. How can we deal with incomplete
information -- how can the user have the lattitude s/he needs without
infringing the lattitude that Disney needs?  How can we base our
decisions on incomplete data -- how can we send incomplete data that
makes sense?

IMO, first, by recognizing that data is per force incomplete, relative  -- and
that there is no one that can 'restore order' any more.  'Adult supervision'
is a fallacy -- as any teenager from the MTV generation can tell you, and
this is perhaps the bridge we can find also to those segments that still
remain alienated to a large extent to what is being controlled here -- the
essential freedom of privacy.  And we see this also in the current 'solution'
being socially engineered to prevent DDoS attacks. But, as Ben Franklin
might say today, those that are willing to forfeit privacy in the name
of security, deserve neither.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck