Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: three more on \cyberPatrol]

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:25:55 -0500

I believe this is a critical issue and while I am forwarding notes on snafu
in filtering it is to show how this can damage the freedom of us all  djf

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Ellen Rony <erony () marin k12 ca us>
Subject: Re: IP: more on cyberPatrol

Starting in the seventh or eighth grade, students begin studying social
issues which include: gun control, violence in movies, alcoholism,
anorexia, drugs, abortion, AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases and more.
These social studies courses are designed to shine light upon the issues
of greatest concern that loom over modern American society. To complete
their research, these students benefit from an Internet that is free of
cyberPatrols and other forms of proxy censors.
Because education is accelerated these days, parents and teachers need to
train students how to discern between reliable information and mere
titillation. This is a skill that will become increasingly important as we
become exposed on a daily basis to information from sources that may be
simply self-serving or downright deceptive.