Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Yet another e-mail filter effect: [risks] Risks Digest 21.50

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:39:41 -0400

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:47:41 +0200
From: j.bos () interpay nl
Subject: Yet another e-mail filter effect

The IACR (International organisation of Cryptology Research) has someone on
its Board of Directors named Don Beaver.  The direct result of this is that
the recent IACR newsletter (a 34K document full of relevant news on the
cryptologic community) was rejected by our company firewall, because his
name was in there too many times. It also contained other "dirty" words,
such as LaTeX, hardcore, and so on.

Our IT department told me that the message would *not* have been rejected if
it was split in two, since the number of dirty words would have been halved.
X-|

Sigh. I though cryptology was to prevent us from this kind of misery.

Jurjen N.E. Bos, Risk Management / Information Security Services
Interpay Nederland BV, Postbus 30500, 3503 AH Utrecht  tel. +31 30 283 6815

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/