Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: CITIZENS GROUPS ACT TO SAVE PUBLICLY OWNED INTERNET RESOURCE http://ICBTollFreeNews.Com HEADS UP HEADLINES

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 06:05:39 -0400

F - CITIZENS GROUPS ACT TO SAVE PUBLICLY OWNED INTERNET RESOURCE
An unusually broad group including public interest organizations,
local governments, ISPs, private companies, charities, churches and
academics called on the Bush Administration not to give away the ".us"
Internet top-level domain. In a letter to Commerce Secretary Don Evans,
the groups ask Evans to reconsider a June 13, 2001 announcement that
Commerce will give away the United State's unique country code to a private
contractor at no cost. The contractor, however, will have the right to charge
the public fees for use of .us. "If this were spectrum, we'd auction it
off for
hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars. Or we'd set some aside,
like
public television, for public use. The Commerce Department plan does neither."
CONTINUED HERE:  http://www.icbtollfree.com/article.cfm?articleId=5379

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/