Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: GNU license controversy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 20:18:01 -0400

Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 13:49:08 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Cc: ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
Subject: Re: GNU license controversy

Indeed, I've often wondered if this is an as-yet-unexploited bug
in the GPL.

This is because computers and software don't obey or disobey
licences, only humans can do that.  Humans give computers orders.

It should be possible, as I read the GPL, to prepare a set of
proprietary modifications to some GPLed program, and then produce
a software package with two components:

        1) The original, freely distributable GPLed program, with source
           where changes are to be done, and otherwise object code with
           source available online.

        2) A proprietary, binary module which takes the source above,
           applies the changes to it, and also localizes the result for
           the user and system in question.  It then compiles it into
           object code that will only run on the user's system, and of
           course does not leave the modified source code behind on
           the disk.

The result would be a binary-only, enhanced version of a GPL program
which while it might arguably be freely distributable as a program
derived from GPL code, but which won't run anywhere else making the
point moot.   It might also contain severable binary components which
are not distributable at all.

Of course, the GNU project is not likely to modify the licence to stop
this, since forbidding technology is not a popular philosophy there.

So I think if a company were determined to make a set of proprietary,
binary only packages that it sells which are based on GNU packages, it
could.  Of course, they would get a lot of bad publicity over it but I
doubt the law could stop them.

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/