Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Survey on cell phone features

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 07:02:01 -0400

Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 02:54:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Marcus Haebler <haebler () gradient cis upenn edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Survey on cell phone features

Prof. Farber,

I thought this might be interesting for the IP list. It is certainly some
interesting data for a couple of discussion we had in class (TCOM670) this
semester (I was the TA).

Best,

Marcus Haebler

Article from http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/rop-07.05.01-000/
freely translated to English.

www.jamba.de, a portal for WAP, SMS, ... in Germany did a survey
national survey about features consumers want to see on cell phones.
Every feature was ranked in four categories between "absolutly
necessary" to "unneeded" by the participants. Here are the results
I grabbed out of the article in list form:

- more than 50% wanted bigger displays
- more than 50% wanted color displays
- 18% thought color is "absolutly necessary"
- 64% thought a builtin camera was not necessary
- more than 60% think that fast data connection with Internet
  access are important
- 43% can do without WAP
- for 27% Email is important
- 36% think that GPRS is unneeded
- but 62% hope for UMTS
- 70% believe that Bluetooth is "not so important" or "unneeded"
- 54% don't want to miss a builtin MP3 player
- 44% want a headset included with the cell phone (using the cell
  phone while driving is forbidden in Germany)
- 72% would put up with commercials on the cell phone if phone
  usage is free
- Organizer functions with Internet integration are ranked
  "desired" or "necessary" by 53%.

Translators comments:
I couldn't find the original source at jamba.de. I'd like to see
that. A list of questions asked and the kind of people they asked
would also be very helpful, I guess.

If you believe this, there is hope for UMTS while it looks bad for
Bluetooth.  Also, WAP is not as great. For all the non-Europeans here,
bidirectional SMS is a reality in Germany for about 5 years (I always have
to laugh when Verizon tries to sell that as a great new feature in its TV
ads). WAP is on the market for over a year now (I believe).

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/