Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Don't Panic! RE: Bells attempt to control the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 16:25:17 -0400

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:24:28 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu, jeff () pulver com, gene.gaines () gainesgroup com
From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart () pobox com>
Subject: Don't Panic!  RE: Bells attempt to control the Internet

My reading of the bill is much different from Pulver's.
It doesn't prohibit *everybody* from offering Voice over IP services -
it prohibits *Bell Operating Companies* who are currently
forbidden to offer conventional long-distance voice service
from offering internet-based voice on high-speed connections,
which would be an easy workaround.

The HR1542 may (ok, does) have other problems, but this isn't one of them.
It doesn't appear to prohibit them from offering VOIP over
lower-speed internet connections, such as IDSL, modems, or 256kbps DSL -
it defines high-speed as at least 384kbps in at least one direction,
but Congress doesn't typically think of everything....

You can look up the bill on http://thomas.loc.gov - search for "hr1542".

        (k) PROHIBITION ON MARKETING VOICE TELEPHONE SERVICES-
        Until the date on which a Bell operating company is
        authorized to offer interLATA services originating in an
        in-region State in accordance with the provisions of this section,
        such Bell operating company offering any high speed data service
        or Internet access service pursuant to the provisions of paragraph
        (7) of subsection (g) may not, in such in-region State market, bill,
        or collect for interLATA voice telecommunications service obtained
        by means of the high speed data service or Internet access service
        provided by such company.

Disclaimers: I'm not a lawyer, though I've played a politician on TV.
I've got a variety of other opinions about this and current regulation,
which differ significantly from the Bell Companies', AT&T's, Tauzin's,
Cato's, Nader's, etc., so I'm sending this from my personal email account,
not work.

                Bill Stewart  bill.stewart () pobox com