Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Bells attempt to control the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 18:56:40 -0400

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 14:51:05 -0600
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Re: IP: Re: Bells attempt to control the Internet

At 02:22 PM 5/1/2001, Matt Oristano wrote:

Upon getting the e-mail on HR 1542, I immediately downloaded the bill, a
PDF of which is attached.[deleted djf] Unless I haven't deciphered
something in it, I think that claim number one below, "Makes voice
applications of Internet illegal," is incorrect.  What the bill does do
is prevent *RBOC's* from using VOIP to get around current interLATA
restrictions on voice unless they are otherwise approved to sell long distance.

Not quite. It does forbid them for charging for long distance calls made
via IP telephony. But it does not prevent them from billing for the raw
Internet bandwidth.

The RBOCs can thus sell "raw" interstate data pipes to large corporations
and other customers, knowing that these customers will, in turn, attach
VOIP units to them and use them to make long distance calls. This is a
much more lucrative market than consumer long distance, a market
in which prices and profit margins are falling dramatically.

The Baby Bells will thus be able to tap a huge market which they formerly
could not enter -- without being forced to conform to the provisions of
Section 271 of the 1996 Telecomm Act.

 These seems to make sense.  As for claims two and three below, they
are correct.  It's worth noting however, that the bill guarantees
competitors the right to interconnect with RBOC data networks.

True. However, it also strips the FCC and state regulators from preventing
the RBOCs from making the price of such connection so high as to forestall
all competition. The right to connect is useless if the RBOCs are allowed
to price competitors out of the market.

The bill likewise forbids the FCC and the states from mandating access to
unbundled network elements. This prevents competitors from taking advantage
of next-generation DSL technologies that require repeaters to reach beyond
10-18 kilofeet, and hence places large numbers of customers out of their
reach.

--Brett Glass

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/