Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: The real bandwidth numbers.

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:31:16 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob McMillin <rlm () pricegrabber com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:15:02
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: The real bandwidth numbers.

On the subject of cheap bandwidth -- a friend yesterday forwarded a
proposition from a company called Cogent:

http://www.cogentco.com/Fast/elegant_proposition.html

$1k/mo for 100Mb/s fiber, installed at a large building of your choice.
Interesting enough, but if you read their latest 10-K filing at the SEC

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1158324/000091205702012716/a2075165z10-k.htm

you'll see they 've lost $65M on revenues of about $3M for FY2001. I'm
no expert but I thought that "sign up customers now, become profitable
later" business models had gone out with the dot-com bust. What good's
cheap bandwidth if the company selling it won't exist next year?

--
    http://www.pricegrabber.com
          "We are smarter individually." -- Larry Niven

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/