Interesting People mailing list archives

in defense of LA -- How Los Angeles Fell

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 11:43:27 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 08:35:29 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: <[IP]> How Los Angeles Fell

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Janos G." <janos451 () earthlink net>
<<[From Alistaire Cooke's "Letter from America," 11/25/02]>>
It seems that after a 10-month drought, the longest since 1877, and the
correspondent reporter goes on as pitilessly as Job - "Poisonous filth is
bleeding into the ocean - oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake pads, plastic
bags, industrial waste, lawn fertiliser, animal dung.
"People," he ends, "are nervous about the rain. Very many stayed home."

Dave,

I'm sorry, but that's the biggest pile of anti-L.A. balderdash I've seen in
ages -- it clearly cries out for a reply.  Yes, the last Winter (rainy)
season here was the dryest on record.  Yes, more rain would be appreciated.
No, there is not a water shortage (yet).  If the entire region goes several
years without more rain (and especially snow in the mountains) there could
be
trouble, but we've been through that before.  If there's one thing L.A. does
right, it's planning for water.  Thank William Mulholland, for all his
faults.

There's been just under 2.5 inches of rain in the current measuring season
(which starts July 1, though any significant rain before November would be
unusual).  No onslaught.  No significant flooding.  Malibu didn't slide into
the sea.  There have been a couple of minor rainfalls, without any
noticeable drama to most people here, except apparently Cooke's
correspondent.  Many areas didn't get any significant rain at all.  Judging
from traffic, nobody stayed home.  Most people's reaction was a wish for
more nice little harmless storms like the ones we've had so far this
season.

After all, we could use the rain.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
"Wired News" Commentaries -
        http://www.wired.com/news/storylist/0,2339,642,00.html

------ End of Forwarded Message