Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Spammers declare war on spam blockers?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:09:31 -0400

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:24:43 +0530
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Spammers declare war on spam blockers?
To: dave () farber net
Cc: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>,
   Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Dave Farber [8/29/2003 2:25 AM] :

Saboteurs hit spam's blockers
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/08/28/saboteurs_hit_spams_bl
ockers/

This has been going on for months now.

Alternatives for blocklists to stay up and remain available in the face of repeated, crippling DDoS attacks could be setting them up on multiple redundant mirrors on fat pipes that can withstand DDoS better than a DSL, on which Jared had been running Osirusoft for over a year.

Other steps to try out could be anycast (being kicked around on nanog), or moving the architecture to a more distributed framework (usenet, p2p networks, or something similar).

Osirusoft going down that way was a shock for a huge number of mail admins worldwide who had come to rely on it for their filters. But luckily, it is basically an aggregator of several DNSBL zones that are available from elsewhere, and there is a way to work around its loss.

For example, we have this policy of getting dnsbls that we use direct from the source (say flat text copies of sbl and spews.org available from their respective websites and a wide variety of mirrors) rather than using an intermediary zone like Osirusoft. We then combine these blocklists with IPs that we block locally, and serve the lot to our mailservers using Dan Bernstein's rbldns (http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/rbldns.html) - so we effectively run our own internal blocklist zone.

Something like this will definitely help mail admins keep their users from being inundated with spam after being forced to turn off all their blocklists because the blocklists either shut down completely, or are answering queries at a very slow rate because they are being DDoS'd.

        srs