Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Spammers declare war on spam blockers?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:34:08 -0400

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:46:11 -0400
From: Tom Van Vleck <tvanvlec () nailabs com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Spammers declare war on spam blockers?
To: dave () farber net

Robert Bruce Thompson writes, in his weblog at
  http://www.ttgnet.com/daynotes/2003/2003-35.html#Wednesday

> I think the only real solution to spam is the vigilante
> approach. The overwhelming majority of spam messages are
> produced by just a few major spammers. I've seen various
> estimates, but certainly the top 200 spammers are responsible
> for at least 80% and probably 95% of the spam generated
> world-wide. The only effective way I can see to kill the spam
> is to kill the spammers, or at least enough of them that the
> others take notice and stop their behavior.
>
> Imagine the effect if tomorrow morning CNN reported that a
> major spammer had been found shot to death, with a "No Spam"
> postcard pinned to his chest. Then, a couple mornings later,
> CNN reports that another notorious spammer had been shot and
> killed from ambush. Then, a week later, another spammer dies
> when his home burns to the ground. From the spammers' point of
> view, one is unfortunate, two may be a coincidence, but three
> starts to look like a plan.

This certainly gives a new meaning to the phrase "death of the
Internet."  This is terrible.

(If I had known, back in 1965, that writing the MAIL command
for CTSS would lead to death threats and attacks on businesses,
I would have written some other program.
  http://www.multicians.org/thvv/mail-history.html
)