Interesting People mailing list archives

we predicted it

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:22:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rick Bradley <rick () rickbradley com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:43:50 -0600
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] FCC ruling is a blow to the competitive marketplace By Dan
Gillmor

* Dave Farber (dave () farber net) [030221 13:10]:
FCC ruling is a blow to the competitive marketplace
By Dan Gillmor
Mercury News Technology Columnist
[...]
But at least one aspect of the 3-2 decision seemed plain enough. Barring
technological and regulatory developments that spur innovation from
genuinely new directions, the nation's regional phone monopolies have won a
huge advantage in deploying tomorrow's high-speed data networks. And if they
operate true to form, they will use that advantage in anticompetitive ways.

You probably don't remember this due to the volume of mail you receive,
but the outcome Dan Gillmor is lamenting was predicted on your list 10
months ago:

http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200204/msg0007
2.html

    "I've been watching the trucks and workmen doing pole runs and
    buried runs, thinking "surely they're not running more fiber?" only
    to see a little orange sign a week later warning about the optical
    fiber.  I told my fiancee a couple of weeks ago, "I don't know what
    they're doing, but the fix is in -- they're counting on not letting
    anybody else use those new lines or else they wouldn't be spending
    all this money."

    When I read the previous post I finally understood -- they're hoping
    (if it's not already a foregone conclusion) that they won't be made
    to open up fiber runs to CLECs and so will be able to completely
    close out DSL competition by dismantling the DSL gear in the COs.
    (Of course just not maintaining the gear would probably suffice...)"

I happened to remember because I was the guy watching SBC running fibre
all over the Rio Grande Valley.

It's hard not to be cynical when the fix is so obvious, but can anyone
explain to me why I, as a consumer in my 5th year of using DSL with only
price increases and quality decreases to show for my loyalty, should be
optimistic about the effects this ruling will have on the broadband
market?

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 362
                       |  Not your data. This
   random email haiku  |  is so simple your coders

------ End of Forwarded Message