Interesting People mailing list archives

more on a police state

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 04:56:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mcget () aol com
Date: August 5, 2004 10:32:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: a police state

Well, since the fastest growing black household in America is the cellblock; since here in Philadelphia I still can hear cops step from their cars asking, "Where'd the nigger go?" in front of black onlookers; since Independence Hall now has a clearly visible surveillance camera in its tower and visitors to the Liberty Bell are searched and wanded multiple times; since the fastest growing group of armed police in the US are private security and prison guard, since without trying very hard, I can read more and more about police getting no-knock powers, about prisoners held incommunicado, etc. -- I think we shouldn't wait until we are all getting routinely Taser'd  for getting smart at the latest "preventive" roadblock.

It's enough like a police state--or a hall monitor's wet dream -- to get me nervous.

 --Michael McGettigan

One recent example -- a friend of mine who worked transmitters for Motorola was sent to a crime-ridden North Philly high-rise project. His mission -- inspect a repeater transmitter that was inside a steel-doored room atop the building -- the transmitter's function was to boost the signals of the various law enforcement/drug authorities that raided it on a regular basis. They'd found that their hand radios often didn't work well enough.  The idea that this high-rise should maybe be razed rather than rigged for a permanent state of drug busts didn't seem to occur to anyone.