Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Author Says Offshoring 'Real WMD' for U.S.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:21:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Sobczynski <tsobczynski () mac com>
Date: November 1, 2004 3:20:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Author Says Offshoring 'Real WMD' for U.S.

Dave, as a young American software engineer hoping for a long (lucrative) career in my chosen field, I have been paying attention to the issue of outsourcing. However, Sheshabalaya's use of inflammatory, emotional language (e.g. likening offshoring to WMD) tells me that he means to instill fear. Look at the figure from Forrester Research, claiming that "3.3 million American jobs will move overseas by 2015." How is this figure derived and how big are the error bars on it? I bet this is nothing more than a linear projection from the last few years' worth of employment data. The number is taken out of context without regard for how many and what type of jobs exist now and how many are being created. We need to make an effort to elevate the debate.

Tom Sobczynski