Interesting People mailing list archives

iPod download lockout: maybe not quite yet.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:45:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eric Santarelli <esantarelli () earthlink net>
Date: November 1, 2004 6:54:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: iPod download lockout: maybe not quite yet.

Dave,

A fix was posted this morning on the French web site MacBidouille.com. All it takes is to open the file "Content/MacOS/iTunes" within the iTunes.app package with a binary editor such as HexEdit, locate the ASCII string "iPod Download" and substitute characters (for instance, turn o into a) while making sure not to add or remove any characters.
It looks like this was a quick-and-dirty last minute patch.

So, although your gripe is justified, there is a workaround available now. You will rightfully object that the next version of iTunes is likely to include a better parade, but keep in mind that the functionality is available in a multitude of external programs; the only reason Apple was able to go after this plug-in but not the standalone programs is that the developer of the plug-in breached an agreement he signed when acquiring the information about the iTunes plug-in API.

As much as I wish the iPod were as open as any of the el-cheapo MP3 players, the fact remains that the music industry will not play with a non-DRM solution, and as far as DRMs are concerned Apple's is the most user friendly around, so I find it a bit misguided to make Apple alone a target of your wrath. Blame Apple, Microsoft, Real and all other DRM proponents together if you have to; but blaming Apple alone somehow makes it look like Microsoft and Real are offering better alternatives, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Me, I'll stick to buying good old CDs and ripping them myself. I can't stand the idea of paying the same price to get a lower quality product with usage restrictions.

Thanks.

Eric