Interesting People mailing list archives

PSF, The '04 Aftermath, Part II & More

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:20:11 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jon Delano <jon.delano () verizon net>
Date: November 24, 2004 6:25:56 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: PSF, The '04 Aftermath, Part II & More

Dear Politically Savvy Friends,

     You have overwhelmed me with such thoughtful emails following my blurry-eyed instant analysis right after the election that I feel negligent in taking so long to get Part II off to you.   And, as it turns out, there is now so much more to muse about.  First, let me say thank you for all the kind words from so many of you about my campaign coverage this year.  [Folks in this media market get subjected to me on TV, radio, and print, while you long-distance friends are not so afflicted!].  I work hard to give you the best I can as fairly as I can, and, even when we disagree, I love hearing from you.      This has been a very grueling campaign year for everyone, and tomorrow we begin what I hope is a terrific holiday season for everyone.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!  Just as families often do, let's hope we can rebuild relationships between red and blue states.  A little humor and a little humility helps.  I know that many Democrats are convinced that President Bush and his congressional allies have no intention of "reaching out" in compromise, but as I opined in Part I, America is always better than its leaders, and I remain optimistic that the great divisions of the last four years can be bridged if the will to do so, on both sides, is there.

     In Part I, I offered instant analysis of the presidential race.  In Part II today, I amplify on that and take a closer look at Pennsylvania.  Then I end with my thoughts about Senator Rick Santorum's brouhaha in Penn Hills.  Read on.

BEYOND THE BELTWAY:

Presidential Redux:

     I don't have much more to add to my instant analysis the day after the election, except to note that the election was very close, despite efforts to claim great mandates (all winners do that) or to bemoan a horrendous loss.   Both President Bush and Senator Kerry got more popular votes that any other man who has ever won the presidency, and that's actually a good sign of a healthy democracy.

     Senator Kerry needed Ohio to win the electoral college, and he just fell short.  One of our PSFs who was on the ground with Kerry in that state reports the following:  "1) John Kerry received more votes than any Democrat has ever received in the history of the state of Ohio, exceeding the campaign's vote goals and getting 200,000 more votes than Bush did when he won the state in 2000.  2) Traditionally, to win Ohio, Democrats have to win Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) by 150,000 votes and keep the Republican candidate under 60 percent in Hamilton County (Cincinnati). We won Cuyahoga by 217,000 votes and kept Bush at 53 percent in Hamilton. We even won Franklin County (Columbus) by 40,000 votes (Gore won it by 4,000).  3) We met our vote goal – we just did not realize that Bush could grow his vote by as much as he did. The Republicans turned out by astronomical numbers in the Western and Southwestern part of the state."

     In short, Kerry did everything right in Ohio -- Bush just did it better in his base!

     By the way, those of you interested in maps might want to click in to this website at the University of Michigan: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/   In addition to that traditional red-blue map of states, these political scientists give you a more realistic way to look at the election based on population vote, along with some other options.   As my PSF who sent this along said, it's really a site for political geeks like us!

Was the Election Stolen?

     I continue to get scores of emails about the 'fraud' that allegedly afflicted the ballot count in Ohio and other states.   While I am not naive enough to believe that shenanigans didn't occur on election day, it seems to me that the guy with the most at stake has been the quietest -- John Kerry.   If Kerry believes something went wrong with the process, he has an obligation to speak up and speak out.   I know, I know, perhaps like Richard Nixon in 1960, Kerry has decided its in his long-term political interests and the nation's, too, to just keep quiet.

     I don't mean to diminish efforts to get at the truth of the ballot, and I won't demean (as some do) those who are digging.   I'm all for investigative reports, but I am not by nature a conspiratorialist.   So those who think Bush 'stole' the election, keep digging.  That is your American right.  But it's going to take some hard evidence of fraud that affects the overall result to get most Americans to pay attention.

Blue Angst:

     Lots of PSFers who voted for Kerry have emailed me their feelings of angst in the wake of the prospect of another four years of George W. Bush.  This one describes what I suspect is the reality for many blue state supporters of Kerry.

     "I am from Illinois (blue state), went to college in Philadelphia (in a blue state), did graduate work in Boston (blue state), worked in New York for three years (blue state) and have been in California for 22 years (blue state). I have never lived for any length of time in a “red” state and, in fact, most of them are places I couldn’t even imagine living. So I guess what this realization has brought home is that the majority of voters are not just of a different point of view than mine, they are virtually from another world -- a world where opposing gay marriage is more important than healthcare, the environment, a reckless rush to war, or the economy."

      My PSF friends who are Bush supporters obviously don't see it this way.  They see the 'blue' states as effete, coastal elites who have lost their moral grounding.  Whether President Bush can ever bridge the two, or even wants to, will be a subplot worth watching in the next four years.

PENNSYLVANIA:

Snarlin' or Darlin', Arlen's the Man:

     Senator Arlen Specter is the most successful politician in Pennsylvania history.  Attacked from the right, attacked from the left, he always manages to pull it out.   And he did so again on election day, winning a record fifth 6-year term, by more than a half million votes.

      What happened was clear.  First, moderate Democrats and suburban Republicans embraced him as the independent senator who would stand up to the right-wing.  Congressman Joe Hoeffel, the Democratic challenger who ran as strong a campaign as he could, was just too unknown to pull it off, even as Kerry was carrying the state.   In Philadelphia, for example, Hoeffel beat Specter by only 262,000 votes, while Kerry was beating Bush by just under 400,000 votes.   In Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), where Kerry beat Bush by almost 100,000 votes, Hoeffel won by only 17,000 votes.  And then in those bedroom suburbs of Philadelphia where Kerry beat Bush, it was Specter over Hoeffel.  Hoeffel even lost his home county, Montgomery, to Specter by 28,000 votes.

     Second, conservative Republicans did not abandon Specter as they did in the primary.  Constitution Party candidate Jim Clymer, the only pro-life candidate in the race, was a credible option, but in the end he got only 215,000 votes, not even breaking 5 percent.

     I had predicted that Specter would win by a single digit margin.  Turns out I was wrong by 0.835%.  Specter won by 10.834% over Hoeffel in the unofficial count because Clymer's campaign simply could not attract the conservative voters that turned out in record numbers to embrace the Bush-Cheney ticket.

The Aftermath:

     What happened next was, of course, even more interesting to Specter-watchers.  True to form, the next day PA's senior senator spoke the obvious when he told reporters that, given the 60-vote rule to overturn a filibuster against judicial confirmation, the president would have to look for moderate judges, not right-wing ideologues, to appoint to the bench.  That comment was, in my view, taken out of context by those who hate Specter and forced the senior senator to engage in another one of his rescue missions to save his chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee.

     Once again, he has done so, but at what price?

     To use a crude expression suggested by one of my conservative PSFers, Specter has effectively been 'de-balled.'  If PA Democrats who voted for his reelection ever really expected him to oppose any of Bush's nominees to the Supreme Court or the federal bench, that appears now to be an illusion, as least that's what many Republicans think.   In exchange for his chairmanship, Specter has essentially agreed to let all of the president's choices get to the Senate floor.   Conservatives are gleeful.

     While on the surface, the conservatives may be right -- they have cornered Specter and all his claims to be an 'independent' are quashed.  But knowing the senator as long as I have, I am not so sure.   We will learn shortly, as the president will waste no time sending up to the Senate some judicial nominees whose Specter's supporters in PA will have a hard time stomaching.  The real test of Specter's independence will come when a Supreme Court nominee is named.  Stay tuned.

The Other PA Races:

     Democrats swept two of the three statewide row offices, but could not bring home the trifecta.

     As expected, auditor general Bob Casey swept to a landslide win for state treasurer, winning 3.3 million votes.  His campaign immediately trumpeted the fact that Casey won the most votes of any candidate in PA history, even more than Lyndon Johnson's landslide in 1964.  Casey's margin of victory, 1.3 million votes, was mighty impressive, but did not beat the record set by the late Senator John Heinz who won reeelection in 1988 with a margin of nearly 1.5 million votes.  Casey is clearly in line to run for governor in 2010, this time with Rendell's support.

     For state auditor general, Democratic state Sen. Jack Wagner of Pittsburgh beat Republican Joe Peters by 340,000 votes.  Wagner, a social conservative who was Casey's running mate for lieutenant governor in 2002, fits the mold of successful Dems in PA, and can be expected to be a substantial player in state politics in the years ahead.

     The Democrats' only loss was the office of attorney general, where Democrat Jim Eisenhower could not turn a Democratic tide statewide to his favor.  Once again, the Associated Press misread the early returns to declare Eisenhower the winner over Republican Tom Corbett.  I was in the KDKA-TV newsroom when the bulletin came in from AP, and I leaned over to a couple of the news managers and said, "Watch this one.  This could turn overnight."   It did, just as it had eight years ago when AP declared Democrat Joe Kohn the winner over the ultimate winner Republican Mike Fisher.

     In the end, Corbett won by 118,000 votes.  Eisenhower did very well in Philadelphia, beating Corbett by 372,000 votes, and he beat Corbett in two of the three Philly suburban counties.  But while that is the traditional route for a Democratic victory, PA still requires the Democrat to do well in other key urban areas around the state.  Eisenhower's campaign in Western PA was practically non-existent, and it showed on election day.  Corbett only lost Allegheny County by 40,000 votes and kept it close in most of the neighboring counties, even winning Westmoreland by 22,000 votes.  Corbett also won Erie County, Lackawanna County, and Lehigh County, counties Democrats need to win.  And then, as Republicans usually do, Corbett cleaned up in the "T" and went on to victory.

     It was the one great moment for PA Republicans, along with their predicted recapture of the state House and Senate.  Indeed, the GOP picked up one seat in each of those bodies.  The defeat of state Sen. Allen Kukovich of Westmoreland County, noted for being one the nicest liberals in Harrisburg, has many Dems scratching their heads, but it was no surprise for those who have watched this county vote Republican consistently, at least in statewide elections.

     Still, on balance, the PA Democrats feel pretty good about 2004, which is a good thing for them because 2006 promises to be another fun election in this state.

SANTORUM REDUX:

    Normally, I would end right here, but PA's junior senator, Rick Santorum, has been in the news a lot lately.  The crux of it has to do with his residence in Penn Hills (a suburb of Pittsburgh, for my non-local PSFers) and using local tax dollars to educate his children who don't live in PA.

    Now I know that many of you will send me nasty emails, but let me, once again, come to Rick's defense.  Santorum is doing absolutely the right thing to have his wife and children at home with him in Leesburg, Virginia, and I will not criticize him for that.   Yes, I know he attacked my friend and former employer, Congressman Doug Walgren, for doing exactly the same thing back in 1989-1990.  Back then, Doug made the same defense that Rick makes today.  A member of Congress should be able to have his young family with him in Washington.  Doug was right then, and Rick is right today.  End of my editorial!

    Of course, that's not the end of the story, as the news media as reported.  So let's see if we can piece together what's going on here.

    Erin Vecchio is a member of the Penn Hills School Board.  She also happens to be chair of the Penn Hills Democratic Committee.  When she learned that the school district had paid out tens of thousands of dollars to a cyber charter school utilized by the Santorum children who are home-schooled in Virginia, she started asking lots of questions about Santorum's residence.   It's old news that the Santorums live in Leesburg, Virginia, in a $757,000 home.  They also own a 3-bedroom home on Stephens Lane in Penn Hills, assessed at $106,000, next door to a much larger 11-room, 5-bedroom home owned by the senator's in-laws, the Garvers.

     When the senator comes back to Pittsburgh, he and his wife usually stay with the Garvers.  The home next door is occupied by the senator's neice and her husband, who are also registered to vote from that residence along with Rick and Karen Santorum.  The children are being raised in Virginia.  Folks, there is nothing illegal here.  Elected officials in Congress usually establish a place of residence somewhere in their constituency even though they don't live there.  Often it is a family home, an in-law's home, an apartment, or, in Rick's case, a dwelling they lease out to others.   Rick, like Doug Walgren did back in the 1980s, pays his local taxes.

     While this dispute raises all the old issues of residency, it really has much more to do with Penn Hills taxpayers underwriting the education of the Santorum children.  Beginning in 2001, the kids were enrolled in the Western Pennsylvania  Cyber Charter School as Penn Hills students.  For three school years, Penn Hills taxpayers paid $37,755 a year ($7,551 for each of Santorum's five children) to the cyber school.  School board member Erin Vecchio says the payments were vouchered by the cyber school and paid by the district without the names of the students being disclosed to the district.  When she got a tip that it was Santorum's kids in Virginia who were being supported by Penn Hills taxpayers, she confronted Santorum at the polls on election day who, reportedly, did not deny the fact.  Last week, the Cyber Charter School announced that the Santorum kids were not eligible for the 2004-05 school year because they were not Penn Hills students.       Vecchio accuses Santorum of fraud, and wants the senator to pay back the school district the $113,265 dollars she says that Penn Hills taxpayers spent on Santorum's children.  The senator refuses, saying he is a Penn Hills taxpayer and did nothing wrong.  A majority of school board members, by the way, are Republican, but there is no evidence that they are brushing this issue under the rug.

     Santorum says it's all political, calling Vecchio (according to one press account) "a sort of smash-mouth, in-your-face politician" -- hmmm, I've heard Rick called that, too -- who has a political agenda to defeat Santorum in 2006.  Vecchio defends herself, saying Penn Hills taxpayers, regardless of party, just want their money back.  But make no mistake.  Politics is also at the heart of this matter.  Local Democrats want very badly to defeat Santorum, and this issue, which is grounded in residency, has particularly resonance in this region because of Santorum's successful campaign against Walgren in 1990.

     In my view, Rick has been up-front about the residency and home-schooling of his children in Virginia for years.  My recollection is that it even came up in the 2000 campaign, and he defended it to the satisfaction of many.  What is new was  the decision by the senator to claim his children as Penn Hills students for purposes of a cyber charter school tax reimbursement.  Was this legal?  I don't know, but, in my view, the Penn Hills School Board has every right to investigate the pay-out of tax dollars.  The next school board meeting is Tuesday, December 7.

     That's it for this Wednesday morning.  As always, I welcome your comments and insights.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I give thanks that we live in a great country where, despite political differences, we can break bread together and celebrate our religious traditions freely.   And, on this Thanksgiving, I especially give thanks for your friendship.   Enjoy the holiday!

         As always,
           Jon

Jon Delano
Political Analyst
H. John Heinz School of Public Policy & Management
Carnegie Mellon University

[As always, these views are my own and not those of the great organizations with whom I am privileged to be associated].