Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Law would put 'In God We Trust' in schools

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:10:06 -0500

------- Original message -------
From: David O'Callaghan <david.ocallaghan () cs tcd ie>
Sent: 7/4/'05,  14:56

Hi Dave,

On 07/04/05 13:07, David Farber wrote:
Law would put 'In God We Trust' in schools

Have you heard about the "Constitution Restoration Act" (Senate bill S.
520 and House bill H.R. 1070)? See this article for a critical look:
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=104&ItemID=7569

----

In the worshipful words of the Conservative Caucus, this historic
legislation will "RESTORE OUR CONSTITUTION!", mainly by barring ANY
federal court or judge from ever again reviewing "any matter to the
extent that relief is sought against an entity of Federal, State, or
local government, or against an officer or agent of Federal, State, or
local government (whether or not acting in official or personal
capacity), concerning that entity's, officer's, or agent's
acknowledgment of God as the sovereign source of law, liberty, or
government."

In other words, the bill ensures that God's divine word (and our
infallible leaders' interpretation thereof) will hereafter trump all our
pathetic democratic notions about freedom, law and rights -- and our
courts can't say a thing. This, of course, will take "In God We Trust"
to an entirely new level, because soon He (and His personally anointed
political elite) will be all the legal recourse we have left.

----

This law would also ban judges from relying on "extrajurisdictional"
sources, such regulations of international organisations, when
interpreting law.

Kind regards,

David