Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:26:35 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: August 5, 2005 3:41:22 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, 'Ip Ip' <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: gep2 () terabites com, "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Science is for Pansies - REAL Men believe in Genesis!

A short answer – it’s not about Yale and Andover. It’s about elementary schools which teach science as a rite and a system that can’t help but perpetuate that approach. I’ve already complained about the bias towards teaching testable facts. While it might be useful to understand factoring polynomials how much time should be spent practicing it versus learning to use a symbolic math program?

How many schools teach how to learn let alone the concept of a bug and the corollary that failure IS learning – if you survive. But that’s evolution itself.

I've started to put together a list of books at http:// www.frankston.com/?name=books including Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club which is gives a good sense of the history of the ideas and Robert Laughlin's A Different Universe which challenges scientists' own assumptions about what science it. I've cc'ed David Reed who recommended those books and lists others athttp:// www.reed.com/goodbooks.html.

The comment below "what we clearly now KNOW is the truth" is a good example of the dilemma. To me it sounds like an echo of Bush's remark -- so they are both theories. Instead of arguing about ID in the abstract I try to use examples likehttp://www.frankston.com/public/ writing.asp?name=BellDesign which don't have the burden of biology in demonstrating the trap of Intelligent Design.

The good news is that we are starting to have alternative opportunities to learn (obviously the ‘Net helps). I listened to The Metaphysical Club while driving rather than falling asleep reading it. The TV science and history programs have vastly improved though you are still at the risk of confusing the Discovery Institute with the Discovery Channel. And phrases like “the miracle of science” only add the confusion I thank Jon Stewart for calling the networks to task for describing the survival of the passengers on yesterday’s crash as a miracle – worth watching – anyone have a URL for it online?

This is why I try to find ways to provide insight such as pointing out that evolution is about opportunity and rather than selection. The educational system is what it is – we need to act to provide alternative sources of understanding rather than simply just blaming the educational system for doing what it is supposed to do – reinforce the norm.

Liberating TV from Tellywood is a good start – why is Jon Stewart the exception? But, alas, Fox TV is where the big bucks are and ultimately how to do we make people want to escape their comfort zone? Perhaps this administration is doing it far better than the critics can.