Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Congressman Conyers calls for select committee tostudy impeachment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:57:37 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Atkinson, Robert" <rca53 () columbia edu>
Date: December 23, 2005 11:22:00 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Congressman Conyers calls for select committee tostudy impeachment

Dave:

As I understand it, the “real objective” of our involvement in Iraq was and still is to minimize the risk to this country (and allies) that unstable, hostile countries or terrorists could acquire weapons of mass destruction. After 9/11, even the slightest possibility of terrorists or rogue states having WMDs became intolerable. Period.

Is “no WMDs in hostile hands” a necessary and worthwhile national security objective? It’s hard to think that it isn’t; certainly nuclear proliferation isn’t good.

So, with “no WMDs in hostile hands” as the principal national security objective, the thinking was and is that the invasion of Iraq could help achieve the objective in three ways:

1) By making sure that Saddam Hussein's Iraq didn't have WMDs or the capability of developing them (this mission was accomplished quickly: despite expectations to the contrary, no WMDs were found and it is unlikely that the “new Iraq” will ever have WMD capability);

2) By making it clear to other rogue states (such as Libya, Iran, North Korea) that the United States will never permit them to have WMDs, and that they will suffer Iraq’s fate (ruination) if they try (this mission was accomplished with respect to Libya; success is less assured with respect to Iran and North Korea and the “lack of will” currently being shown in the United States may mislead Iran and North Korea into thinking they have nothing to fear); and,

3) By establishing a stable, civilized, democratic society in the Middle East in the hope that it will minimize the need for the United States to police the region for the foreseeable future (this mission has not yet been accomplished and might be the most difficult; it will be a long time before any judgment can be made).

The Afghan/Iraq actions seem to have reduced the possibility of nuclear war between India andPakistan and they helped to expose the dissemination of nuclear bomb-making know-how to rogue states by A.Q. Khan. These unintended consequences can help achieve the objective of “no WMDs in hostile hands” and are a “bonus.”

Was the invasion of Iraq the best way or only way to achieve a critical national security objective? Could different things be done? Obviously, there is a lot of debate about that now. But you asked about what is the “real objective,” not the means of achieving it.

Bob