Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Congressman Conyers calls for select committee tostudy impeachment

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:25:57 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marc <marcaniballi () hotmail com>
Date: December 24, 2005 6:03:53 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Congressman Conyers calls for select committee tostudy impeachment

Dave;

Bob has brought up the primary disconnect in the entire mess, as I see it. There was, somewhere in the intelligence community, a belief/ assumption that "rogue states" were the most likely places to find and eliminate WMDs. This may have been the case during the cold war, but it has long since ceased to
be true. The price of a WMD is dropping almost as fast as the price of a
MIP. In addition, the range of options for WMDs is growing exponentially.
(Remember when it was just nuclear bombs?)

One could agree that the actions of the last few years are not only
justifiable, but rational, under the "rogue states" assumption. Given the reality that; any sufficiently smart and motivated group with access to a reasonable amount of funding could accomplish any number of WMD objectives, we now have an entirely different problem to deal with - one that doesn't
respond at all to current tactics. It is actually aggravated by them!

Following Kurzweil logic, while we may be on the brink of a human
evolutionary leap, we are also on the brink of a different evolution - one
where the capacity to seriously injure, or even destroy humanity will be
attainable by a large number of individuals, each capable of acting alone.

How do we deal with such a threat? Certainly not by cutting education and increasing military spending/activity. Oh, and please don't get me started on justifying one's actions based on divine intervention - That's the form of logic (or more properly "willful suspension of logic") that brought down
the two towers.