Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Free Speech fading at UC Berkeley

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:45:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

UC Berkeley has implemented a set of minimum connection standards
for all devices attached to the campus network.  Many UC campuses
(including UCLA) have followed suit.  At Berkeley, these standards were
rolled out over a 14 month grace period.  That grace period has just
ended.  Nothing in this policy requires permission to receive TCP
connections, but it does require that connections be secure.  If a
device must run an insecure protocol (such as telnet with clear-text
passwords), an exception to the policy must be requested.  The policy
can be found at http://socrates.berkeley.edu:2002/MinStds/(note
especially Appendices A & B).  This is the only new thing affecting the
campus as a whole that I could guess David Reed might be referring to.

I have heard that the Computer Science department has a more restrictive
policy of requiring registration of all web, email, and ftp servers;
otherwise inbound traffic is blocked by their firewall.  However, I have
not been able to find a reference to this on the department's website.
Perhaps it is this departmental policy to which David Reed refers?

/Mike