Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:46:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rahul Tongia <tongia () andrew cmu edu>
Date: May 4, 2005 11:15:01 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

Dave,

I have studied African connectivity in some detail for a while, and I certainly agree that International connectivity is an issue, if not bottleneck. However, some of the global links have African control/ ownership, e.g., SAFE, so it would be misleading to blame "outsiders." There are also local monopolies per nation for some fiber landings. In that sense, it is the incumbents [like everywhere!] who keep prices high.

A wild idea on how to do something about connectivity in Africa is at:
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~tongia/FiberAfrica-- ending_a_digital_divide.pdf

Rahul

Rahul Tongia, Ph.D.
Systems Scientist

School of Computer Science (ISRI) / Dept. of Engineering & Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 USA
tel: 412-268-5619
fax: 412-268-2338