Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 07:02:26 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mitra <mitra_lists () earth path net>
Date: May 9, 2005 1:00:03 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, Ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Setting history straight: So, who really did invent the Internet?

As the originator of the comment in Ian Peter's history that the internet would still be the internet if it was based on X.25 or ATM, I wanted to add my perspective.

Mike O'Dell states

sorry - but that could not be, other than as some grandios technological edifice. those "telco" technologies were created specifically to provide
for central planning and control of innovation (aka "new services").
the power of that control can be seen in how successfully ISDN was
crushed in the US.  In that world, "new services" (not necessarily
innovative) are doled out by the network operators, in concert with
their handmaiden equipment providers, on geologic time scales.

This is simply not true. Our network (GreenNet) and its partners (IGC,EcoNet etc) were service providers on the X.25 networks, for most intents and purposes the business and technical models were almost the same as they are now, i.e. : * we bought an X.25 line from the phone company, and provided email, forums and databases to our users. * The phone company was also our major competitor in providing email services * Users could get bundled service from us - dial up access, plus email boxes and hosting, or buy access directly to the network and access any server they wished. * Users with a fixed address could put up servers, and interchange peer-to-peer, but most users had dynamic addresses and did all communications via servers. * Our servers interchanged email with each other in much the same way as SMTP servers do now, and used existing standards (uucp) to interchange with external servers, hiding this complexity from our users who addressed email to addresses in either of the common formats in use at the time - e.g. mitra@gn or gn:mitra

X.25 had many problems, and TCP/IP is of course, a superior solution, and the phone company pricing couldn't keep up, which is why we - and everyone else- switched to it, but there were plenty of hybrids around for many years, and I believe there still are now.

X.25 also had advantages, link-level error correction meant that lost packets got noticed quickly, rather than having to be repeated end-to- end on what were at the time high latency connections, often involving satellites.

At the time of the switch from X.25 to TCP/IP we, and others, were moving from dumb-terminal (vt100) applications to client-server apps, but these were two orthogonal changes, and the client-server apps worked just as well on X.25. It would have been quite feasible to run gopher, wais or www over X.25, i.e. to have made the transport layer switch at a much later date, and there is nothing really to stop applications being run over non TCP/IP services at some point in the future.

What most of our users saw was a gradual improvement of email services, and addition of new servers, most of them never even knew when we switched from X.25 to TCP/IP.

None of this should of course be taken to minimize the contribution the developers of TCP/IP made to the internet. The internet was a collaboration of many people working on separate parts over several decades, and any claims by any one person or entity should be taken to have "invented the internet" are not merited.

One other point ...Brad also comments ...

The internet cost contract is "I pay for my line to the midpoint, you pay for yours, and we don't account for the individual packets." I pay my half, you pay yours. This remarkable billing arrangement gave the illusion that the internet was free. People were paying for it but you could treat it like it was largely free. Other systems, including the X.25 network, and of course the PSTN, tended to have usage based accounting.

which if taken literally would imply that we don't have the internet in Australia, where almost all end users are subject to some kind of usage-based accounting, e.g. I pay about AU$10/Gbyte of committed volume and $0.24/Mbyte of any volume above that limit. We certainly don't treat usage as free "down-under", this of course is due to the Australians having to pay 100% of the cost of the transpacific link, and that most of the servers are in the US.

- Mitra

--
Mitra Ardron: home/office +61-2-6684-8096 mobile +61-414-648-722 mitra () mitra biz
Natural Innovation: www.naturalinnovation.org

Life is a Mystery to be Lived, not a Problem to be Solved