Interesting People mailing list archives

"Rumplestiltskin worm" on the loose?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 07:25:21 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Date: May 7, 2005 12:15:03 AM EDT
To: Farber Dave <dave () farber net>, Ip ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: "Rumplestiltskin worm" on the loose?

Dave:

This week, I have begun to see evidence -- in the form of "bounced" e- mails and error messages in our servers' log files -- that "zombie" machines which are infected by malware (either worms or spyware) are launching aggressive "Rumplestiltskin attacks"
against mail servers throughout the Internet.

What is a "Rumplestiltskin attack?" As described in a paper I wrote several years ago (where I coined the term for lack of a better existing one), it is an e-mail address harvesting attack in which a machine attempts to send e-mail messages to randomly guessed addresses at a domain. It might try common first names -- for example, "john () domain com", "joe () domain com," and "mike () domain com" -- and then proceed to common last names and combinations of names and initials. (In some cases, we've seen some very unusual guesses that appear to have been extracted from lists of
AOL screen names.)

If mail for a guessed address is accepted, the "zombie" machine records the address and sends it back to its "master" -- a controlling machine which adds it to a
database of addresses which will become targest for spam.

Because the address guessing process is expensive (both in terms of computing time and in terms of bandwidth), the best way to achieve results is via a rogue form of distributed computing, in which large numbers of "zombies" (machines co-opted via
malware) are pressed to the task.

On our servers, these attacks and other traffic from spammers are now consuming approximately ten times more resources than all of our legitimate mail combined.

Because the "zombies" are generally not mail servers, the most effective way to mitigate these attacks -- though it might offend the sensibilities of the "Orthodox End-to-Endians" -- is for ISPs and enterprised to block outgoing port 25 traffic from client computers that are not designated as, or intended to be, mail servers. These computers should send outgoing mail only through a designated mail
server, which in turn monitors them for excessive outgoing traffic.

ISPs' firewalls should monitor and log attempts to send such traffic, so that
infected machines can be spotted and cleansed of their infections.

As I've mentioned above, there will be some people who are philosophically opposed to the notion of restricting Internet traffic so as to limit abuse. Alas, such idealism is inappropriate for the real world, where spam is now consuming so many resources that it threatens not only to choke off not only legitimate e-mail but
to consume the lion's share of ISPs' bandwidth.

--Brett Glass