Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Twenty five years of the IBM PC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:25:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () oreilly com>
Date: August 11, 2006 4:12:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Twenty five years of the IBM PC

On Aug 11, 2006, Jim Delong wrote:

The IBM PCmay have made business history, but it did not make
technological history.

Hmmm. That seems like a very narrow view of technological history, a bit like saying that the open source movement didn't make technological history, because after all, source sharing goes back to the very early days of the computer.

The technology innovation of the PC, it seems to me, was the widespread introduction of the idea of a standard computer architecture, built entirely from off-the-shelf parts, with cloning actually encouraged because the specifications were published. Just because there were other micro-computers doesn't mean that anyone had actually put together all the pieces that enabled the PC revolution.

As I've argued in an essay about open source entitled <a href=http:// tim.oreilly.com/articles/paradigmshift_0504.html>The Open Source Paradigm Shift</a>, which draws heavily on the history of the IBM PC for models and inspiration, commodification and standardization are in fact tremendous spurs to innovation, as they require value to be added in new ways, according to what Clayton Christenson has dubbed "the law of conservation of attractive profits."
Tim O'Reilly, Founder & CEO, O'Reilly Media,
1005 Gravenstein Highway N., Sebastopol, CA 95472
+1-707-827-7150 http://tim.oreilly.com