Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Twenty five years of the IBM PC

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:37:59 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: August 11, 2006 6:35:21 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: John Shoch <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Twenty five years of the IBM PC

Dave,

At the time the IBM PC came out I was at Xerox, with the high-end Star workstation group.

A little later I remember trying to explain to senior management that the machine itself was pretty mundane, but I waved around the MOST important part of the machine -- an early copy of PC World (?) with hundreds of pages describing software, hardware, quilted dust-covers, and more!

Our recommendation was to focus on higher-end workstations/printers/ servers/Ethernets/etc., and concede the very low-end by offering a clone.

I think we identified the Hyperion, from Canada -- an early "almost close" which ran DOS, but was not 100% compatible.
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/lakes/6757/HYPERION.HTML
And then some of the first true desk-top clones, the Columbia and the Corona, which I think were before the Compaq portable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_Data_Products
http://digitize.textfiles.com/items/1983-columbia-eval/.m/1983- columbia-eval-02.jpg

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures